My favourite thing about a holiday to Thailand, is the chilled Thai Iced teas that you can find in every corner. I love the sweetness that condensed milk gives to it and the kick of the spices. Here is a simple recipe for you to try using black loose leaf tea. We used the black tea from Kangra as it is has a mountainous flavour. Want to know more about the tea, read the tea review by Amanda Wilson.
- 4 cups water
- 4 tsp Palampore Kangra Black Tea
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 anise stars
- 1 green cardamom pod, smashed
- 2 whole cloves
- about 1 cup (240ml) condensed milk (You could also use coconut milk)
- Bring water to boil and add the the black loose leaf tea, sugar, anise starts, cardamom pod and cloves. Stir until all the sugar disolves. Gently boil tea for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Allow tea to steep for minimum 30 minutes and allow it to cool. The more concentrated the tea flavour, the better the Thai tea tastes.
- Strain the tea. If tea is still warm, chill in the refrigerator.
- You can make this ahead of time and have the organic Thai tea chilling in the fridge.
- Fill glasses with ice and pour in the Thai tea leaving enough room to add milk. For a 250ml glass add about 2-3 tablespoons of 2-3 tbsp of condensed milk. Adjust as per your taste.
If you love cupcakes, try the Thai Iced Tea Cupcake recipe by The Royal Budha. Instead of using the Thai tea mix (as suggested in the recipe), use the brewed thai tea recipe to enhance the flavour of the tea in the cupcake.